Transcription Assistance Guidelines


Transcription Assistance Guidelines

Main Office: A255 Murphy Hall (310) 825-1501 voice, (310) 825-9656 fax
Proctoring Center: A242 Murphy Hall (310) 825-2651
Transcription Services (310) 825-1501

UCLA's Center for Accessible Education (CAE) is mandated by Federal and State law and University policy to provide academic support services to regularly enrolled students with documented permanent and temporary disabilities.

Qualifying for the Transcriber Service

Students must register with, and provide documentation of their disability to the Center for Accessible Education. To register with the CAE, make an appointment with the appropriate CAE Disability Specialist mentioned below. They will assist you with reviewing your documentation and discussing your eligibility for Transcription Assistance Services.

  1. Students with hearing impairments must meet with a CAE counselor.
  2. Students with physical, visual or health related disabilities must meet with a CAE counselor.

The Transcriber Service is available to students whose disability-based need cannot be met by their independent use of technology. The Transcriber Service is for students who need a typist with word processing skills to transcribe essays, papers or other class assignments from one-on-one sessions of dictation or from a taped cassette.

How the Service Works

The CAE refers students who may need to explore the use and purchase of adaptive computer technology to the Disabilities and Computing Program (DCP). The DCP offers assessment and orientation to adaptive computer technology that includes adaptive keyboards, voice recognition systems, and other adaptations allowing students to work independently.

Should you qualify for Transcribers, you will be asked to fill out an Alternative Format Request form and make an appointment to meet with the Auxiliary Services Coordinator or Assistant Director, Relations and Services. Your meeting with the Coordinator will consist of discussing in detail the information you provide on the Alternative Format Request form and what specific service approach will best meet your needs. All students must attach a course syllabus to the request sheet. You must meet with your Disability Specialist every term to initiate this service. Graduate students working on research for a dissertation must submit the Alternative Format Request Form and a copy of an abstract or a letter from their department outlining the subject and the projected typing/word processing load as needed. Additionally, you are asked to keep the following in mind:

  • Transcribers help you with academically related materials. While working together, it is the role of the Transcriber to type the material as dictated by the student. The Transcriber should not “correct,” compose, or edit material.
  • Today on campus, more than ever before, the needs of students with disabilities are being met by the libraries and the numerous computer labs across campus. In light of this, it is our intention that only students whose disability-based needs cannot be met by using the above-mentioned campus resources be approved to use the CAE Transcription Assistance Service. At the same time, the CAE recognizes that some of our students’ disability-based needs require a specific environment and/or assistive technology to achieve equal access to their educational programs. Please discuss this with the Auxiliary Services Coordinator or Assistant Director, Relations and Services as necessary.
  • It is the responsibility of the CAE student to review and sign the Transcriber Assistant’s timesheets. All CAE service providers are paid hourly. Timesheets should be signed in a timely manner so that they can be submitted to the CAE by the due dates.


Confidentiality is extended to all students receiving services from the CAE. CAE staff and service providers are required to keep all student and assignment related information strictly confidential.

Service Providers’ Employment

Service providers are employees of the CAE and the University. The CAE and its employees must observe laws and regulations pertaining to the Personnel Policies. This is a reminder that meal periods and rest periods are required by Personnel Policies for Staff Members Section 31-B-1 and 31-B-2 for student employees and Cue Clerical Unit Contract Article 10, schedule E and F for non-student employees. Please feel free to contact CAE if you have questions regarding these policies.


The key to a successful term is for all people to take responsibility for their part in the service. If there are any problems or concerns contact the Auxiliary Services Coordinator or Assistant Director, Relations and Services immediately. Remember, communication is the key to success.

How to Resolve Service Delivery Problems

It is fair to say that even with the best efforts of everyone involved with your service delivery at UCLA, a problem may occur. If this should happen, we strongly encourage you to let us know so that we can work together to solve the problem as quickly as possible. Experience has shown us that many times a problem arises because of a misunderstanding or miscommunication; therefore, clarification can be a quick and effective solution. We can help to resolve problems you may have with your service providers, professors, TA's or Departments. It is often best to discuss the issue with the person involved first, and if a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached, to then appeal to the person's supervisor or department chair. However, we can assist you with making this determination and should we be unable to resolve the problem in the CAE, we will refer you to appropriate on-campus resources that can help.

For any issue or problem, you will be treated with respect, receive a timely response to your inquiries, and will have your issues dealt with in a confidential manner (if so requested). Retaliation in any form against persons who file complaints is prohibited by disability-related law and University policy. We encourage you to bring up any issues or problems as soon as possible, give clear and detailed information and be respectful of those people with whom you are working.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires the University to adopt and publish procedures to resolve problems regarding access to the educational program for persons with disabilities. An individual who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of disability should contact UCLA ADA/504 Compliance Officer, Monroe Gorden at (310) 825-1514, or via email at If you wish to know more about your rights as a disabled person under Federal and State law and University policy, CAE can refer you to the appropriate entity.

If you would like these Guidelines in an alternative format, contact the Center for Accessible Education at (310) 825-1501 (voice) or (310) 825-9656 fax.

Revision 06/30/16 Transcription Assistance Guidelines